Pot holder

I wanted a quick project to do in between my alterations this week and decided that I also need stock for when I do my fairs.
I have seen some nice pot holders around and thought that looks easy and you can never have to many on hand, (says someone who regularly has burns on her hands from cooking).
So with hearts all around us in the run up to valentines here is my, not so romantic, heart pot holder.

I haven’t followed any tutorial just sort of worked it out from seeing some finished ones, so forgive me if you make them and do it properly, this is how I made mine. (any tips on doing better will be appreciated).

Firstly I cut out a template using the size of my hand as a guide. Looking at this picture I don’t think I have a career as a hand model!

measuring the size

measuring the size

Next I marked a line down and cut templates for the pockets.

Heart and pocket template

Heart and pocket template

I then found some material, in this case I used a black and white tea towel and a bit of black tea towel left over from one I turned into a hand bag.  But any material goes.

I cut out 2 heart shapes, 2 pockets in black and 2 pockets in the black and white remembering to reverse the pocket shape.  I then cut out a heart shape in wadding, I had some heat proof wadding but thought it felt a bit thin so also user some thicker wadding.

All the pieces

All the pieces

I pinned all the bits together the 2 pockets and the heart shape with the wadding in between, using some black bias binding I ironed in half lengthways I sewed the straight edge of each pocket making sure to sandwich all layers together with the binding.

Bias binding added

Bias binding added

Looking at the heart shape I decided to pin and sew around the edge to secure all layers before adding the binding and was glad I did as I tried to be careful and thought I had got all layers but there were bits where I sewed only some of the layers and at least this way I didn’t have to unpick the binding. I also put the pockets in place and secured them in with the other edges.

So once all layers were secure I again ironed the bias in half lengthways and stitched it over the edges all the way around the heart.

pockets added and bias stitched around

pockets added and bias stitched around

All done

All done

Looks like it will work fine!

Looks like it will work fine!

 

I think the next one I do I may only use one layer of wadding as it was a lot of layers to keep together and I may add a little hanging loop to it, I think it was a good effort for my first try though.

 

Cath

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s